FASCIAL STRETCH THERAPY™
Fascial Stretch Therapy™, also called FST, is an innovative system of manual techniques and training used by certified professionals that can rapidly eliminate pain, improve mobility, restore impaired function and enhance both athletic performance and recovery.
These points make it different from other techniques:
• Pain free
• Rapid results
• Long lasting to permanent outcomes
• Many clients who have experienced other therapies report never feeling as good as after an FST session
Description of an FST™ session
After a conversation about your needs and goals, and then an assortment of functional movement tests and other assessments, you lie on a comfortable table, which has soft stabilizing straps that may be used to secure your body.
The straps are used because the FST practitioner will be moving your body in particular ways to both assess and restore movement that has been lost, is painful and/or weak or is simply of poor overall mobility.
Extremely gentle movements may be used if you are in pain or they may be more vigorous if you are training for an athletic activity. In any case, the session is created around your needs so specific goals are addressed.
Movements unique to FST will strengthen, lengthen and comprehensively balance your entire body. The brain and body are re-educated when neurological receptors called mechanoreceptors are stimulated because the majority of them are located throughout fascial tissue, which is the primary target of FST. Other receptors called ‘interoreceptors’ are also located throughout fascia, even around all the organs and have direct connections to deep parts of the brain (e.g. insula) that, among other things, are related to your sense of self and wellbeing.
That is why people feel so good after FST.
Many clients find themselves having to empty their bladders, as FST mobilises the lymphatic system, resulting in decreasing inflammation and increasing the detoxification effect of moving blood and other fluids in the body.
The session ends with a movement-based home program based on your assessment findings and response to the FST session.
Origin of FST™
FST was first developed by Ann Frederick as both a table and floor based system of unique joint capsule mobilization and neuromyofascial movement based stretching. Ann’s husband, physical therapist Chris Frederick, helped evolve the technique and also developed medical applications of FST.
Benefits of FST™
The following are major FST benefits to clients are all commonly accomplished within 1-3 sessions:
• Rapid, effective pain relief
• Stress relief
• Rapid strength and mobility improvement
• Major functional ability change
• Sleep quality improvement
• Relief of many joint impingement syndromes
• Improved flexibility and speed in athletes
Fascial Stretch Therapy™ rests on a solid foundation of practice-based evidence and evidence based research:
• Nearly 20 years of full time, daily use and application of FST on clients and patients by the founders, Ann and Chris Frederick.
• Feedback from thousands of students who have been using FST since 1997.
• Research based content in the seminal book “Science of Flexibility” by Michael J. Alter (Alter 2004).
• Evidenced based chapter on stretching by Chris Frederick and Thomas Myers in the most scientific book on fascia to date (Schleip et al 2012).
• Systematic reviews and research articles on studies of stretching and its effects on the human body and performance (Frederick 2014).
FASCIAL STRETCH THERAPY™ IS ONLY AVAILABLE AT OUR BRIGHTON CENTRE.